Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Running: So Run Already!

I was close to rationalizing myself out of running tonight, when I came across an article on Sam Thompson. He's run 48 marathons in 47 days, at a sub-9 minute pace, and is closing in on his goal to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. Oh, and this was despite shattering his leg and pelvis in an automobile accident 8 years ago, after which his doctors told him that he would never run again.

Just as impressive is Michael Mann. Just 22 days after having the entire bottom of his right lung lobe removed due to lung cancer (taking with it 23-25% of his lung capacity), this marathoner was back running. "The first three days, I just ran three miles, but then that felt OK, so I did five or six every day after that," Mann said. He ran 50 miles per week during his chemotherapy treatments, and six months after his final chemotherapy session, Mann ran the Shamrock Marathon in 2:54:26, finishing 27th out of 1,738 runners with a time of 2:54:26.

So, you'll excuse me if I need to cut this post short and go for a run.

No comments: