Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Running: Too Much Toast

Great run on Sunday. I ran the Charlottesville 10-Miler course Galloway-style (9 minutes running, 1 minute walking) and ran it in 1:33, which was faster than I’ve run the actual race the last three times. Admittedly that’s not saying much, as the last few times I’ve run the Cville 10-miler I’ve run it without much in the way of training ahead of time, but I was still pleased with the result. My goal for the upcoming OBX race is to run the half-marathon in under 2 hours, so I’m on pace for that.

I'm always amazed at what a good long run will do for my general outlook on life. It generally takes me about 3 miles to work out the kinks, but after that, I often start to get into an endorphin-assisted groove where I can pretty much go on autopilot and don't have to think too much about running for another 4-6 miles. It's during this part of the run that that things start to make sense. While I go through most days feeling like Bilbo Baggins ("like butter spread over too much toast"), a long run will generally provide me with some much-needed perspective.

So why oh why can't I stay on a more consistent running schedule? Too much toast, I guess.

No comments: