Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Politics: Caught in the Middle



Christian Democrats (no, it's not an oxymoron) find themselves caught in the middle - on one side fending off the Religious Right's efforts to lay sole claim to the "Christian" label, and on the other side struggling with secular humanists' attempts to remove any hint of Christianity from the "Democrat" label.

Senator Barack Obama took the latter to task yesterday, urging his own Democratic Party to "acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of the American people." As reported on CNN.com, Obama noted the influence of his own Christian faith, and contended that "secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering the public square." Preach it, Senator.

I was going to post some similar thoughts for the benefit of the folks on the other side of the aisle, but came across a blog posting that said it as well or better than I could. Read and heed.

Oh, and if you want to order the bumper sticker, here's how.

1 comment:

Larry Rouse said...

I am encouraged by the recommendations of Senator Obama. As a Christian I have an interest in the political scene, but I do not trust in politics to "change the world." I do fear, however, that without efforts like Mr Obama, there is a possibility that of one of our major parties could become an "anti-Christian" party. I realize this, too, is a reaction to several highly political religious organizations that claim to speak for Christians. When a religion enters the political battlefield one should not be surprised when others fire back!

While I really wish that churches would get out of politics, I am happy to see men who are not ashamed of their faith. Yes, there are many who will use it as a political prop. But there also will be a few who are genuine and for that I am grateful, regardless of their political persuasion.

Thanks for the interesting blog and good luck on your running!

Larry Rouse
Charlottesville, VA