Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Politics: Land of the Free

Those pressing for the United States to join the anti flag-desecration club (consisting I believe of China, Cuba, Iran, and Iraq under Saddam Hussein) were rebuffed today as the Senate rejected a proposed constitutional amendment by one vote.

As I noted in a previous post, I believe that burning or otherwise desecrating the flag is constitutionally protected speech. I also believe that it is highly offensive speech, and that anyone who is presented with it and offended by it has the right to state a different opinion, within the bounds of the law. Enforcing that different opinion by statute, however, would make the land of the free less so.

I guess those wanting the U.S. to join the China/Cuba/Iran/Iraq anti flag-desecration club will have to be content with continuing to associate with those countries in the capital punishment club.

No comments: